If you haven’t ever had magic layer bars then quite honestly I’m not sure how we are friends. This dessert is one of the easiest and tastiest that you can make from scratch. It only takes a few ingredients that I usually keep stocked in my pantry just in case unexpected company drops by. It’s not my recipe but I’m the one that introduced them to my relatives so they always associate the bars with me. I always give credit where it’s due but I don’t mind getting requests for “Amnah’s bars”.
While these are amazing as is, I tried to come up with a way to take them one step further. Introducing mini 2 bite magic layer bars:
Okay, okay so it isn’t a revolutionary dessert breakthrough, but look at them! They’re mini! The cute factor alone is worth the effort it took to make them. I always had an issue with cutting equal sized pieces, so this solves that dilemma perfectly.
Start with the base of graham crackers and melted butter. You’ll use the same amount called for in the original recipe. In a mini cupcake pan, measure out 1 teaspoon of the graham cracker mixture into each section. My first batch I used 1/2 teaspoon but they came out much too thin.
With a tart press or your finger, press down to form the base crust.
Measure 1/2 teaspoon of condensed milk onto each crust. Try to distribute it evenly if possible.
Next place 6-8 chocolate chips and 6-8 butterscotch chips (or peanut butter or white chocolate) into each section. (This is my first batch pictured. More chips were needed the second time around.)
Then sprinkle with coconut
And chopped walnuts (or pecans, almonds, peanuts…). Press down with tart press again.
Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 15 minutes or until coconut becomes lightly toasted. Do NOT over bake. They become very hard to bite and don’t taste good at all. My oven is pretty cool so if your oven is usually hot bake for less time. Keep checking on them.
Let cool for about 2 to 5 minutes in the pan to fully set and hold shape. Then cool on a wire rack. Enjoy
two, three, four, five with a tall glass of milk.
These really are very easy. I made them single handed.
These will definitely be on the dessert table for Maysoon’s birthday. I think I may even take them one step further and drizzle them with caramel. Who’s with me on that one?
Magic Layer Bars via All Recipes
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels (I use 1 cup chocolate, 1 cup butterscotch)
- 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees for glass dish). Coat 13×9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs and butter. Press into bottom of prepared pan. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumb mixture. Layer evenly with chocolate chips, coconut and nuts. Press down firmly with a fork.
- Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Cut into bars or diamonds. Store covered at room temperature.